Church of Santa Maria Della Pace
The church and hospital annexe, currently the seat of the San Lorenzo- Vicaria organisation, are on Via Tribunali between its opening opposite Castle Capuano on one side and the square of Sedil Capuano on the other, which was at one time the site of a society of the most illustrious nobles of the city. The building rises next to and above the older palace of Ser Giovanni Caracciolo, designed by Andrea Ciccione and dating from the fifteenth century. The church, designed by Pietro de Marino and built from 1629, was called Santa Maria della Pace (of peace) because it was completed in 1659, the year in which a peace treaty between Philip IV of Spain and Louis XIV of France was signed. The ground-plan is of a latin cross with a single nave and side-chapels. After the earthquake of 1732 it was restored in 1739 by various hands: Domenico Antonio Vaccaro on the walls and decoration, Nicola Tagliacozzo Canale on the apse, and Donato Massa on the paved floor in terracotta and ceramic tiles.